SEO is very much alive in 2022 despite rumors that it is dead. To be precise, as long as people use the internet to search, it is essential to ensure they are taken to the correct pages as quickly as possible. If you invest in search engine optimization, you are on the right track. However, if your efforts are not getting you the attention you deserve, chances are that you are making a few SEO mistakes.
Sometimes, doing SEO on your site can be frustrating. Yesterday, your website ranked on the top Google SERPs but when you performed the same search today, you found your site ranking on the second SERP. Therefore, you begin to wonder what went wrong. In a nutshell, as incredible as your branding may be or as innovative as your product or service no doubt is, if you’re not ranking on the first page of Google’s search engine results page (SERPs) for relevant search queries, people may never know that your business exists.
In fact, the number one position on a Google search enjoys a whopping 33% of the traffic – so boosting the ranking of your website and related pages is essential.
Paid ads or PPC will help to increase the search ranking of your page but you cannot rely on this method for continued commercial success. To help you pinpoint the issue, here are some common reasons that could be killing your product page rankings and even penalizing your site because you broke the commandments set by search engines.
Some Reasons You May Not Be Able To Rank Your Product Page
1. Buying Backlinks
Backlinks are generally bought by site owners to increase traffic to their site and rank higher quickly. Despite how appealing this sounds, it is not a wise investment. Why? Because there is no consideration given to who you are or what your website is about when these links are distributed. This results in them degrading your website’s quality and adversely affecting your ranking. It is against the rules to buy or sell links, after all. Google’s Webmaster Guidelines explicitly state that owners of sites should avoid participating in any type of link scheme to avoid risking the wrath of search engines, which can result in a de-indexation of your website.
Think twice before tricking search engines. In the present day, search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, and others are more ingenious than ever, which is why they are now very adept at discovering links that seem irrelevant, suspicious, manipulative, and plain unnatural. As a result, rather than purchasing links, you should earn them. Facebook and Reddit are excellent platforms for creating reputable and quality backlinks by building your online presence and linking back to your website. The best content will also attract quality links. Each of these practices ensures that your links are natural, which will enhance your website’s ranking and encourage your business to grow.
2. Poor Content Management
You should never forget that content is king if you want your product page to be ranked highly by Google and other search engines. It seems that most webmasters and business owners forget this, causing their ranking to plummet and setting up their sites to fail. There are a few things that you need to take into consideration when creating content for your website in order to ensure that your content strategy is effective and not in opposition to search engine optimization.
- Originality: Copying content from another site is one of the most common mistakes made by website developers who are learning SEO. Google and other search engines have explicitly stated that they will not tolerate content that violates any type of copyright law. This practice is, therefore, considered plagiarism and is a violation of the law. The republishing of articles taken from other sites or the borrowing of content is considered a duplication of content (content that appears on two different URLs). This is a serious SEO issue that damages your links, lowers your search engine rank, and might even result in penalties.
- Value: It is important that you provide valuable content to your visitors and potential customers in order to satisfy search engines. There is no requirement that mediocre content will not be indexed by search engines or displayed on SERPs. This is because it probably will if you optimize it well. However, it may not be enough to convert your visitors into paying customers. You must provide users with relevant content that is shared on social media in order to ensure conversions.
- Relevancy: your site needs to have relevant and related content for it to be considered credible within the market niche you selected. Trending topics and current events can be a great growth tool for your business, however, you need to link and relate these topics to your business. In the absence of these actions, your website may be pushed to the bottom of the ranking list.
- Consistency: Your visitors need consistent content if you hope to maintain their interest and regard for your products and services. It is inevitable that you will lose your SEO ranking when you post infrequently or on rare occasions.
- Up-to-Date: Your site’s ranking will not be enhanced by yesterday’s content. In order to keep visitors engaged and ensure they return to your site repeatedly, you need to regularly update your content, just as you would with any other SEO practice.
3. Keyword stuffing
Keywords are extremely useful; however, you must also know how to distribute them properly. It is possible that you are making this error if you are using keywords but your page does not rank as you would expect.
Keyword stuffing, or “over-optimization,” was a common problem on the internet because it was extremely effective. Stuffing your content with key search terms is a form of keyword stuffing. There has likely been a site before that seemed to repeat the same phrase repeatedly, such as continuously rephrasing the same sentence in order to repeat the search term the site hopes to rank for, resulting in a wall of repetitive text that actually tells you very little.
4. Slow Site Loading Speed
However, many website owners ignore the importance of optimizing their sites’ loading speed, which has an effect on their ranking as well as conversions. Your site must load within a few seconds; otherwise, visitors will get impatient and give up on your site. Your rankings will suffer as your bounce rates increase due to this issue.
To optimize the loading speed of your website, you will only need to make a few small changes. In order to reduce your page load time, you can avoid heavy media files and upload smaller images. You may need to undergo a complete redesign of your website because of this.
5. Lack Of Alt Text In Your Images
Adding alt text to every image on your website can prove a daunting task, especially if you have uploaded many images. The reality is that alt text can be instrumental in improving your search engine ranking because Google uses it for better understanding and indexing your images.
Make sure not to overuse keywords in your alt text, but to include relevant keywords for each image.
6. Meta Tags Not Optimized
Metadata is used by search engines to determine what your website is about. There will be an individual set of Meta tags on each page of your website, which can be optimized to describe the content of that page.
You should be aware that some of this information might appear in search engine results, so learn how to modify it. It is often the first thing that your potential customers will see before clicking on your website.
7. Poor Internal Linking
So, if your website is experiencing unstable rankings, you should make sure that there are plenty of internal links on your pages that are neither broken nor linked to pages that cannot be crawled.
It is possible that your e-commerce product page will not rank for a variety of reasons, which typically include poor keyword research, poor content, and buying backlinks. Moreover, duplicate content on product pages and incompletely optimized product images prevent pages from ranking on search engines. If you have a Magento-powered eCommerce website, the one tool that can address all the above reasons is Magento 2 SEO pack. This pack consists of eight tools, one for each of the above reasons, and allows you to take care of it automatically.
In order to increase your visibility in search results, you can do a variety of things. If you have a strong understanding of your website or pages, the process will be much easier for you.